Re: indentation

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: indentation
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 09:43:23 -0400

> I admit I'm not a fan of gimmicks that are smarter than me...

I think you'll like (electric-indent-mode -1), then ;-)

More seriously, this does not necessarily require "smarts":
in some (many?) projects, the coding conventions says precisely
how indentation should be done, so there is no "smartness" involved and
if you don't like what the auto-indentation does, either it's because of
a bug in the code, or it's because you disagree with the conventions (and
overriding the conventions should be rare).

In those cases, typically the coders end up controlling the indentation
only indirectly, e.g. by carefully choosing where they cut the lines, or
by swapping arguments to commutative operations, or by other such means.

        Stefan