RE: [External] : indentation

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : indentation
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 17:54:23 +0000

> > This "modernization" was yet another attempt to make Emacs
> > seem more like other apps some people might be used to.
>
> Huh?  This modernization was pretty much a unilateral choice made by
> yours truly, and I have no idea what "other apps" do in this regard, so
> the intention was definitely not what you state.

And yet you said things like this, as motivation for the change:

  "because most people don't use C-j but use RET instead"

and

  "I'm obviously not the only, because it's very common for
   text editors to 'auto-indent on RET' (either by default,
   or via a config setting).

And others who supported the change gave similar reasons:

  "Every IDE does that [what `newline-and-indent' does] when
   the user presses RET." (Dmitry)

  "The days when keyboards had an LFD key that produced C-j
   are long gone.  Nowadays, keyboards have only the RET key,
   and users expect it to indent in programming modes, at
   least by default.  As things are now, I need to customize
   every programming mode I use to do that.  I think it's
   time for a change." (Eli)

The main argument in favor of this default change was, IMO,
modernization ("time for a change"), to align Emacs default
behavior with what users of other apps had come to expect.
I say that after reviewing the various discussions about
making such a change.

And no, it was not a unilateral choice by you.  There was
quite a long discussion (more than one), with many voices
pro and con before a decision was made.

> I know full well that it disagrees with some users, but
> there has been surprisingly few complaints over this change,

It's easy enough to turn it off - that's the point.  The
default doesn't matter a lot.  But to say that few people
complained about the change is wrong - misleading, IMHO.

Once _changed_, few complain about most default changes
that are easy for an individual user to remedy/reverse.
That was the case here.

Just turn it off by default and Bob's your uncle, if you
don't want electric indenting by default.  That's the
answer for Petr.