Re: Would there be a drawback of using the same graphical toolkit on eve

From: Pankaj Jangid
Subject: Re: Would there be a drawback of using the same graphical toolkit on every platform?
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 15:31:30 +0530

Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

>>     What's GNU? Gnu's Not Unix!
>
> _That_'s the joke ...
>
> GNU isn't UNIX but it sure is Unix!
>
> As is Linux ...

GNU utilities do make it appear like that. Otherwise, even the most
basic shell commands are incompatible - ls/xargs/find...

And Linux is a kernel.

> See that "x"? Ever contemplated what that means? X marks
> the unknown?
>
> So GNU/Linux that's even Unix**2 ...
>
> OpenBSD and so on are also Unix. But not macOS or Android, how
> ever that would work? Don't be silly ...
>
> POSIX = Portable Operating System Interface, coined by RMS ...
> or am I wrong?

If GNU were UNIX, then there was no need for POSIX.

I am talking purely from the user’s point-of-view. If we talk about the
idea then the gap is even wider.