Re: Would there be a drawback of using the same graphical toolkit on eve

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Would there be a drawback of using the same graphical toolkit on every platform?
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 20:51:16 +0300

* Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2022-02-19 10:34]:
> > Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 20:59:38 +0000
> > From:  emacsq via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
> > <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
> >
> > Just wondering if a free toolkit like Gtk supports multiple platforms out
> > of the box then would it make sense to use the same GTK-based code on every
> > graphical platform? So using the same toolkit for everything graphics,
> > instead of implementing features for windows, linux, etc. separately?
>
> Emacs currentl;y supports building with GTK only on GNU and Unix
> systems.

That means on Unix-like systems. It is better expressed that way. GNU
is Not Unix, true, though it is very much Unix-like, such systems are
mentioned as Unices if I remember well.

GNU is Unix-like and there are variations, there is also GNU with
FreeBSD kernel, though I don't know if there are still users. GNU with
Hurd kernel is Unix like, and GNU with Linux is also so much Unix like
system.

GNU is not Unix because it is free software and also free not to
follow constraints and standards -- though my impression is that it
does follow it.

I feel fine with DragonFlyBSD and GNU/Linux-libre systems, as user I
do not see differences, majority of basic command line tools are more
or less same. I do prefer GNU tools for reasons of --help and
--version and some consistency.

Though when I use Haiku, that is something totally different, and
proprietary Windoze systems which I encounter at other people's
computers look rather too simple as there is no much options to change
how desktop looks like, and one is forced to use mouse so much by many
applications.

Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman