Re: DragonFlyBSD

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: DragonFlyBSD
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 15:17:13 +0300

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2022-02-20 01:51]:
> Jean Louis wrote:
>
> > Installing DragonFlyBSD was very easy, it just works. I am
> > using it exclusively because of the HAMMER file system, for
> > two reasons: battery on that notebook is not good any more,
> > and electricity outage in under-developed country are
> > frequent. When system goes down, HAMMER file system makes
> > sure that no data is lost. I don't know how exactly, I just
> > believe it for a while. There is no fsck-ing like on
> > GNU/Linux.
>
> If you switch to BSD you should have a reason to do so since
> that world is so much smaller.

My computers are several in various locations. Some may use this or
that operating system. While majority of people use one computer, I am
administering several. Family members and staff members use computers
setup by myself. It is network and computer administration in small
environment.

Me I am also using Emacs on Android, under Termux. Then Emacs on
LineageOS under Termux. Then Emacs on Replicant, under Termux. Those
are 3 operating systems. Then I use DragonFlyBSD on laptop lacking
battery, Parabola GNU/Linux-libre, Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre on some
laptops and Haiku sometimes. I would like to install FreeBSD on some
notebooks to see how it works long term.

What I like is system consistency, like what Debian has, that one can
upgrade the system over and over again without reboot, and all things
work. Uptime like 536 days or 966 days is what I have now on some
computers with Debian.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns