laptopkernel-devel

Re: [Laptopkernel-devel] Introduction and general thoughts

From: Hanno Böck
Subject: Re: [Laptopkernel-devel] Introduction and general thoughts
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 23:17:01 +0200

> I have some remarks on the project you started:
>
> a) I would suggest to change name and mission of the project. The
> reason is, that although you aim it to be useful for generic laptops,
> i would wonder if it is very useful - at least in this form of
> distribution, which I would discuss in b) - for other users than those
> of the Acer TM80x series. Of course, the radeon fb module doesn't
> hurt, if you have a Dell L600, but it doesn't give you any help with
> the Nvidia FB.. Other centrinos have other NICs, CardBus driver etc.
> etc. So, my proposal would be to call the project "linuxontm800" or
> so, and to not only provide the kernel patches, but also links or
> archives of the tools to use those patches (e.g. software suspend).
> I'd love to have a mailing list with people only talking about Linux
> on the TM800, as I have many open questions but also my own first
> experiences.

Well, that is absolutely not the intention of our project. For your
information: I even don't have an Acer TM800, instead I have a Sony
PCG-GR114MK (which also needs some of the patches found in
laptop-kernels).
Our goal is to provide patches useful for all laptops. E.g. the
acpi-patch is needed for nearly every current laptop. Swsusp and
supermonut are also useful for all laptop-users.
We plan to include some more patches, our current todo-list is
- cpufreq
- acpi4asus
- laptopmode
- thinkpad-patches
- omnibook-patches
- sisfb-update
As you see, we don't focus just on tm800-stuff, instead we want to have
a kernel with lots of laptop-specific patches (as long as they don't
interferre).
If you need a mailinglist for tm800-issues, we can create one in our
savannah-project.

A Linklist for tools needed for the stuff is planned.

> b) For trancsparency and individuality please do not provide a mega
> patch but - if possible - a collection of single patches and a shell
> script, which would apply them... e.g. provide a tar.gz with all
> patches in on dir named 01_acpi.diff up to ..99_usb_storage.diff or
> something like that (the beginning numbers are for applying patches in
> the right order...) and provide a simple shell script like:
I already thought about that. It is possible, but it would be much more
work.
To help out, I provided all the sources where the patches came from in
the announcement.

> ACPI: the battery does not give you a discharge rate, so most of the
> tools show no or senseless rest times. Do you have the same results?
I don't know if any laptop does that. Mine also doesn't.

> Hotkeys: I have tried all the patches and modules for other acer
> models on the web. No one worked...
I think bernd has them working.

--
Hanno Böck - address@hidden