laptopkernel-devel

Re: [Laptopkernel-devel] Introduction and general thoughts

From: Bernd Wurst
Subject: Re: [Laptopkernel-devel] Introduction and general thoughts
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 11:21:11 +0200

Hi.

First of all, I think you partly missunderstood the ideas of this project. I
made a patchset to have a kernel that works on my tm800. This was done with
the help of Hanno.
After that, we decided to put in more patches to make it possible that Hanno
himself also does not need anything but this patchset.

So this one is just an extended version on my tm800 patchset.

All things mentioned on my website for tm800 is also true for this
-laptop1-patchset.

Am Don, 29.05.2003 um 01:41 Uhr schrieb Stephan Skrodzki:
> Am Mit, 2003-05-28 um 23.17 schrieb Hanno Böck:
> > As you see, we don't focus just on tm800-stuff, instead we want to have
> > a kernel with lots of laptop-specific patches (as long as they don't
> > interferre).
> so, how (just for example) could cpufreq get along with the performance
> settings of the acpi environment? And even if those two patches would
> cooperate, the next question which would come up would, which /proc
> interface (acpi or cpufreq) would work how on which laptop.

I think we have to say that we did not completely understand which one is
compatible with which type of processor.
It seems that some CPUs have problems with
/proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/performance even if they should support SpeedStep.

> -> More than providing a monolithic kernel patch, I would suggest to
> make it more chooseable, which patch to load - or even the handcrafts
> way - to work more on the "Which patch is good for what" Howto.

Feel free to write such a how-to! :)
I think as long as patches do not conflict with each other we do not need to
provide individual patches.
One can choose in menuconfig which one to use.

> > If you need a mailinglist for tm800-issues, we can create one in our
> > savannah-project.
> I think it is worth thinking about that. Bernd, what do you mean?

Personally I do not need one and I think it's not very useful. There are many
laptops out there with very similar issues and some of the same brand often do
not have same components.

> > [individual patchsets]
> > I already thought about that. It is possible, but it would be much > >
> > more work.
> Please do that. I can't imagine, that I would be the only one with such
> a wish.

Sure, you are not the only one who has such a wish. But for the moment it is
definitively not the goal of this project. The swsusp project often provides
patches against the latest acpi and others also do so. One can also collect
all these single patches and allpy then one after the other. Our goal should
be to provide one single patch that does all that.

If you (or someone else) want to do this, it'll be great for some users.
Please do so and we will support you whereever we can. But our primary goal is
to make that one patch. A time will come when patches interferre with each
other, then we have to think about that, sure.

> > To help out, I provided all the sources where the patches came from in
> > the announcement.
> Yes, but Bernd once announced on his website, that he had to modify the
> swsup patch. Bernd is that true?

Look above. This IS this modified version. But the modifications are kind of
trivial. (I did not do it, Hanno did :) )

> >> ACPI: the battery does not give you a discharge rate, so most of the
> >> tools show no or senseless rest times. Do you have the same results?
> > I don't know if any laptop does that. Mine also doesn't.

On my TM800, acpi (with given patch) works out of the box!
I lately tried Knoppix and I saw that there was battery rate visible from
/proc/apm!! :)
I did not ever have any problems with acpi-battery monitoring. But I read
about that with older Kernels. I started with 2.4.21-pre3 (IIRC).

> > > Hotkeys: I have tried all the patches and modules for other acer
> > > models on the web. No one worked...
> > I think bernd has them working.
> Looking forward to Bernds statement.

No, I don't.
There are those keys about "Web", "Mail" and so on. They do not work with all
patches and tools I have seen.
But the mail-LED worked with the "acertm"-Proc-Interface. We did not include
this one in our patchset because I seems to support just TM6x0-models and
crashes many other acer-laptops. Perhaps someone could implement a better
checking for the correct versions. I wrote to the author of that patch but did
not get any answer. I plan to look at it by myself when I have some time left.
:)

I simply got the volume control to work as I described on my page!

cu, Bernd