laptopkernel-devel

Re: [Laptopkernel-devel] Introduction and general thoughts

From: Stephan Skrodzki
Subject: Re: [Laptopkernel-devel] Introduction and general thoughts
Date: 30 May 2003 14:02:51 +0200

Am Fre, 2003-05-30 um 09.03 schrieb Bernd Wurst:

> Okay, we surely CAN put all individual patches on the page. But we have to
> care about not confusing any users! If there are dozens of ptaches for one
> kernel version, I would be scared!

me too... unless I have an install.sh and a INSTALL or README file.

> Why do you want to have a codebase as much as possible similar to vanilla?
> E.g. the ACPI patch adds "Toshiba Laptop Extras" without asking for it. So
> that's not really necessary but it does not hurt anyone.
> I say, we talk about sizes <= 1 MB, if we get over this limit, you're right.
> We could split the patch as we can say, here is "acpi with swsusp" and there
> is the fitting supermount and the fitting dell-hotkey-patch. Sure. It's more
> work to do and it will be necessary some time.

Its just from my experiences over the years, that kernels could easy get
"overpatched" which means, you don't know what is going wrong any more
and new patches are rejected because of others..

> If we get more patches in, we have to make indiidual patches for ourself, I
> recognized that so far. :-)
> But I'm scared about confusing users as long as there is not such a script
> available yet.

ok, let me and Sebastian think about a suiting script, and after that is
done, we could get on with single patches...

> > so, we go on with tm800 related discussion here? Fine for me.
>
> I there a need to discuss more than mentioned below? Let's see how much it
> will get.

Jau :-)

> You get the design capacity and then you just have to calculate the remaining
> capacity and the design capcity with each other and you get the rate. All
> ACPI monitors I tried so far do exactly that!

http://freshmeat.net/projects/eheatload/?topic_id=143%2C862%2C952

does rely on this information and I had the feeling that one of the
Gnome Monitors does this also. Perhaps it could be a patch to the kernel
acpi.

> > Does DPMS in Xfreee work for you? I mean, does the backlight goes out
> > after some time?
>
> Even did not try this. :-)
> Hey, if it's turned on, it should be on! The only thing that I really would
> apreciate is software suspend! This works not evry time so far, something
> wicked happens and there is no debug output.

could you check if it works for you? just have a look at xset...

Best regards
 Stephan