laptopkernel-devel

Re: [Laptopkernel-devel] Introduction and general thoughts

From: Bernd Wurst
Subject: Re: [Laptopkernel-devel] Introduction and general thoughts
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 18:54:57 +0200

Hi.

(I have not much time right now so just a short reply...)

Am Fre, 30.05.2003 um 14:02 Uhr schrieb Stephan Skrodzki:
> Its just from my experiences over the years, that kernels could easy get
> "overpatched" which means, you don't know what is going wrong any more
> and new patches are rejected because of others..

Okay, my experience with linux on a laptop is that I always use the newest
kernel available in hope that something will work better than it did with an
older one.

So I compile a kernel, use it and if I cange something, I go on and fetch a
newer one. Especially on acpi issues, there are always some things that do not
work as they should.

> [DPMS]
> could you check if it works for you? just have a look at xset...

Do you mean that?

address@hidden bernd $ xset q
[...]
Screen Saver:
  prefer blanking:  yes    allow exposures:  yes
  timeout:  0    cycle:  600
[...]
DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 1200    Suspend: 1800    Off: 2400
  DPMS is Disabled
[...]

cu, Bernd

--