laptopkernel-devel

Re: [Laptopkernel-devel] Introduction and general thoughts

From: Bernd Wurst
Subject: Re: [Laptopkernel-devel] Introduction and general thoughts
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 09:03:53 +0200

Hi.

Am Don, 29.05.2003 um 22:51 Uhr schrieb Stephan Skrodzki:
> Ok, I think I got it so far. Although I still think, that - Sebastian
> Henschel explained it far better than I could - that it won't make life
> for laptop users much better (easier), than that what you've started on
> your web page.

Should be the very same but for more different models.

> Yes and no. Normally I run 2.4.x Kernels and not 2.5.x because of a
> trust I put in the work on those Kernels regarding stability and I only
> use "wild" patches, where it is unavoidable, as e.g. the broadcom module
> for my NIC. So although I have to use so patches, I'd like to keep my
> kernel as much as possible to the actual vanilla codebase, which I get
> very far away from, if I have also patches included for DELL Hotkeys,
> IBM rubber mouse driver or whatever... That for I described my idea in
> my first mail, which is the same, Sebastian mentiones. I think he or I
> could be willing to write a piece of code to apply a bunch of patches
> via configuration only. But I depends on you putting each patch
> transparent in the project... if not, it would be just a complete
> different project.

Okay, we surely CAN put all individual patches on the page. But we have to
care about not confusing any users! If there are dozens of ptaches for one
kernel version, I would be scared!

Why do you want to have a codebase as much as possible similar to vanilla?
E.g. the ACPI patch adds "Toshiba Laptop Extras" without asking for it. So
that's not really necessary but it does not hurt anyone.
I say, we talk about sizes <= 1 MB, if we get over this limit, you're right.
We could split the patch as we can say, here is "acpi with swsusp" and there
is the fitting supermount and the fitting dell-hotkey-patch. Sure. It's more
work to do and it will be necessary some time.

If we get more patches in, we have to make indiidual patches for ourself, I
recognized that so far. :-)
But I'm scared about confusing users as long as there is not such a script
available yet.

> so, we go on with tm800 related discussion here? Fine for me.

I there a need to discuss more than mentioned below? Let's see how much it
will get.

> I did not get this. Where is the modified version to find except from
> the complete patch?

Nope. We did not do a individual patch for this. It's just patched in and then
fixed the rejects. Ask Hanno but I do not think he made it avaliable.

> address@hidden:~> cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/stateV

> present:                 yes
> capacity state:          ok
> charging state:          discharging
> present rate:            0 mA
> remaining capacity:      4128 mAh
> present voltage:         9216 mV

Sure, it's the same.

address@hidden bernd $ cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/state
present:                 yes
capacity state:          ok
charging state:          discharging
present rate:            0 mA
remaining capacity:      1216 mAh
present voltage:         9408 mV

But if you look at

address@hidden bernd $ cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/info
present:                 yes
design capacity:         4400 mAh
last full capacity:      4410 mAh
battery technology:      rechargeable
design voltage:          14800 mV
design capacity warning: 250 mAh
design capacity low:     100 mAh
capacity granularity 1:  10 mAh
capacity granularity 2:  25 mAh
model number:            03ZG
serial number:
battery type:            LION
OEM info:                SANYO

You get the design capacity and then you just have to calculate the remaining
capacity and the design capcity with each other and you get the rate. All
ACPI monitors I tried so far do exactly that!

> Does Standby work for you?

No, but I never used it any time, neither in windows nor on other computers.

> Does DPMS in Xfreee work for you? I mean, does the backlight goes out
> after some time?

Even did not try this. :-)
Hey, if it's turned on, it should be on! The only thing that I really would
apreciate is software suspend! This works not evry time so far, something
wicked happens and there is no debug output.

> uh? a mail LED? Haven't even known, that the thingy has one...

Yes! I even did not know about it. But if it's turned on, it's a flashing
greep LED behind the key.

cu, Bernd

--
tail -f /dev/null