Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Is Stallman nuts?

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Is Stallman nuts?
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 12:23:29 -0700

I hesitate to weigh in here, but I have a perspective to share that I'm
not seeing anyone else bring up.

There are really quite distinct issues:

A) political concerns about patriarchy / sexism etc

B) social problems with call-out culture

C) practical decisions for the movement

These have **no** correlation. Someone can be on any place along the
spectrum for A while being anywhere in their acceptance or criticism of
B. C is a tactical matter that has no specific reliance on the others
aside from acknowledging the facts of them.

I happen to be on the more feminist / progressive / left-wing side for
A, but I'm a charitable reader of RMS and still believe him to *share*
my views on these things overall.

I happen to be extremely concerned about B. I have mixed feelings about
C, and I can see it possibly being a practical positive for RMS to
resign (he's been problematic for a long time, but it's the same
personality issues that also lead him to be a visionary), so again
definitely mixed feelings.

On B specifically, I think everyone needs to learn more about
**Restorative Justice** and **Transformative Justice**
(here's a link:
http://www.zehr-institute.org/resources/restorative-or-transformative-justice/
). We do *not* need to do this public mob justice thing which leaves any
movement extremely vulnerable to manipulation and to misunderstandings
destroying solidarity. I'm incidentally giving a related talk at SeaGL
in November in Seattle.

Thanks to everyone who has worked to maintain respectful discourse here,
trying to really listen to one another.

In harmony,
Aaron Wolf
Snowdrift.coop