Re: Support RMS

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Support RMS
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 21:52:22 +0300

* Adrienne G. Thompson <adriennegayethompson@gmail.com> [2021-04-14 20:41]:
>    Ali:
>
>      I am not speaking on behalf of the GNU Project or a team behind a
>      package. I don't want to cause misunderstanding. It doesn't matter
>      whether I'm a member of FSF/GNU or not, we're a community, nobody
>      and no
>      project is superior to another. I don't like to put the name of GNU
>      Project/package in front of my name because I don't want to (in any
>      way)
>      imply that my opinion matters more or I am talking from a stronger
>      position.
>
>    It's not about superiority or voicing support from any perceived
>    stronger position. It's simply about the show of solidarity, so the
>    public can see that those affiliated with GNU packages support our
>    founder and Chief Executive.

I am totally for showing solidarity, but not for politicizing
projects, that introduces other politics into free software.

Imagine GNU Guix users, there are young people, old people, people
from all over the world, there is one common thing that unites them,
that is GNU Guix, and then they find defamatory statements on GNU Guix
pages. That is ridiculous, as for reason that GNU Guix is software
project, not a platform for whatever other politics, and it divides
GNU Guix users, including it is in breach against own Code of Conduct
on harassment.

In the same way it is not appropriate expressing neither support nor
harassment by using various companies or software projects behind.

People shall sign it on behalf of person individually. It is not good
to speak for others.

Let us say project GNU X, has 10 developers and 1500 users, all of
them have their own life, now developer 1, signs and says he is behind
THIS cause and uses GNU X name, but there is no consent among other
developers, even if there is consent, why should 1500 users be brought
in connection with whatever private and personal issues. This spoils
the project and divides people.

So I say, please don't put your project names behind your
signatures. Speak for yourself, not for other developers or users who
may think you speak for users, even if you don't.

Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://stallmansupport.org/
https://rms-support-letter.github.io/