Re: Support RMS

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Support RMS
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 21:39:49 +0300

* Deb Nicholson <deb@eximiousproductions.com> [2021-04-15 19:16]:
> As you know, I've spent many hours in FSF booths and many hours running
> FSF events. I've personally spoken to many, many more than "a half
> dozen" women and others who have told me their stories about RMS
> treating them differently, hitting on them at a conference, loudly
> interrupting a young person's talk or involving them in a mortifying
> public joke about virginity.

So it is more than 6 people that told you stories about RMS treating
them differently. If those people wish to participate here, so let
them make their stories here themselves, why you speak for them?

It is very obvious that your interpretation of their stories is not
first hand experience, so please don't represent people.

Why you did not say how many people found RMS good? Or you just
listened to those more than 6 people?

RMS is speaker, when there is important issue at hand I can understand
that somebody may be interrupted. Speeches are normally organized with
purpose to spread free software philosophy. Because you did not
describe any of the contexts involved in those more than 6 people, it
sounds not plausible.

There is no weight to those empty accusations.

You are welcome to make your story better, provide the context. Like
for example, why exactly was young man interrupted?

> In particular, I have had several young
> women say to me, "Oh, I could never give a talk at LibrePlanet because
> RMS might yell at me."

What an empty accusation. I have watched LibrePlanet videos, they are
online and transparent.

Please can you point out by providing a reference to video that we see
on which person RMS yelled during speech?

> Others have told me that they can't bring their wife or girlfriend to
> these events because the last time they did RMS or other free software
> representatives were awful to them. Having a leader who inspires others
> to treat potential newcomers rudely, or with contempt is not a net
> positive for the free software movement.

That is so blinking unbelievable. As I said, because things are on
video, why don't you provide video, like show us some true fact.

> Perhaps it would not surprise you to hear that almost none of the
> people who've had these interactions with RMS or his representatives
> choose to donate to the FSF or support it through their volunteer
> time?

For now we have a story of people without names, who only you know, as
they complained to you, but there is no single fact recorded on video,
and you know all their private issues so well that you know they will
not donate. If you know their financial interests, then you know their
phone numbers.

Call them, and let them tell here in open what happened, that we know
more than these pretty empty accusations.

I am sorry Deb, I have got good feeling that all what you want is to
accuse and annoy. I truly wish that you prove the opposite, and I am
giving you way, instead of generalizations, show us the video where
LibrePlanet speaker is yelled on by RMS.

I definitely want to understand if such yelling ever happened, and
what was it.

I wish to judge it too. As the reason you bring those issues in public
is for public to judge but if you don't show the video, then we cannot
judge nothing, in other words, your accusations are empty unless you
can prove it.

Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://stallmansupport.org/