Re: Support RMS

From: Matt Ivie
Subject: Re: Support RMS
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 14:10:28 -0700

On Thu, 2021-04-15 at 12:13 -0400, Deb Nicholson wrote:
> Hi,
> As you know, I've spent many hours in FSF booths and many hours
> running FSF
> events.

Thank you for your many contributions to Free Software, the FSF and
LibrePlanet. LibrePlanet is a fantastic conference and the one year I
was able to attend in person, I really enjoyed it.

>  I've personally spoken to many, many more than "a half dozen" women
> and others who have told me their stories about RMS treating them
> differently, hitting on them at a conference, loudly interrupting a
> young
> person's talk or involving them in a mortifying public joke about
> virginity. In particular, I have had several young women say to me,
> "Oh, I
> could never give a talk at LibrePlanet because RMS might yell at me."
>
> Others have told me that they can't bring their wife or girlfriend to
> these
> events because the last time they did RMS or other free software
> representatives were awful to them. Having a leader who inspires
> others to
> treat potential newcomers rudely, or with contempt is not a net
> positive
> for the free software movement.
>
> Perhaps it would not surprise you to hear that almost none of the
> people
> who've had these interactions with RMS or his representatives choose
> donate to the FSF or support it through their volunteer time? I'm not
> surprised that the people who are left at the FSF mostly still
> support him.
> What's sad is that the free software movement should be much, much
> bigger
> and it won't be able to grow if it is only accepting people who don't
> mind
> harassment, bullying and belittlement. We should be able to work on
> free
> software without that gate.
>
> You mentioned that a public letter is a hostile act. I understand
> that it
> feels that way to you. Collectively the signers of that letter have
> spent
> many, many hours trying to "call in" or improve free software *with
> RMS.*

While I'm sure many folks that signed that letter have very strong
emotions attached to it, it doesn't seem like a very productive way to
move forward.

I don't feel that Richard is a person that means to harm people. He may
have character flaws like we all do, but that doesn't mean he is
intentionally causing problems.

Richard may have opinions that are difficult for some people to deal
with and he may discuss ideas that make some people uncomfortable. I
don't see this as damning. The problem I have is that no one, nobody
anywhere is going to be able to define what will make everyone 100%
comfortable all the time. Never. If we did that we would be sanitizing
our culture to the point where it was no longer interesting or fun
because chances are that SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE would find SOMETHING
offensive.

Deb, please don't take anything here personally, I'm not intending to
attack you at all. I value the input anyone has on this issue and I
appreciate that you have done many things for Free Software.

I personally feel that Richard does still have something unique and
valuable to offer to the Free Software community. I also feel that his
character is being wrongfully attacked. That doesn't mean that I'm
saying that /some/ of the people involved in the signing of the letter
don't have valid feelings. Their feelings are of course valid but I
don't think they are properly represented through that letter.

I hope my response doesn't sound hostile, I don't intend to be hostile.

--
"Under the sky, under the heavens there is but one family."
        --Bruce Lee