Re: [Mldonkey-users] Overnet 0.42

From: MLdonkey
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Overnet 0.42
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 22:27:41 +0100

>  I'm sorry to say that I won't have time in the following weeks to help
>  with this update :(

Don't worry, enjoy your holidays !

>  However, it seems in my last traces that the UDP overnet protocol didn't
>  change. This makes sense, as the TCP-dl-protocol and the
>  UDP-search/connect-protocol are distinct entities. I found during my
>  firewalled-peers work that there are new opcodes in TCP that mldonkey
>  does not know about. Getting traces with between 2 official 0.42 clients
>  should be quite easy though.

Yes, I think it is the rank on the upload queue which is sent with
opcode 92. I think eMule does something similar.

>  I do agree that we should mimic as closely as possible the overnet-TCP
>  behaviour in a separate TCP port, on which we remove any
>  mldonkey/edonkey-specific extensions :) Having an specific TCP and UDP
>  port for overnet, we may be able mimic overnet protocol as closely as we
>  want.

Well, I'm beta-testing a version from Simon with a new TCP port for
overnet (edonkeyport+1), but currently, I haven't got even one
connection, so it is hard to tell. When I force the client to connect
to a local overnet client, the client does not issue an "invalid
client", so it might be OK. Simon didn't commit this version, because
you need at least 1 GB free on disk just for the debugging messages :)

If we have better results, a commit should happen (hope before christmas).

- MLDonkey