Re: [Mldonkey-users] banning emule?

From: Christian Klein
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] banning emule?
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 00:28:13 +0100

On Thu, Dec 26, 2002 at 08:56:18PM -0200, Klaus Imgrund wrote:

> I don't have a problem with uploading more than I get down - I upload
> with 25-28k and that is full most of the time.
> What I don't like is that I leech from one client to give it to another.
> Over the last three hrs my up/down looks like this to me:
>
> mldonkey old/new 10/10% up/down
> edonkey          0 /20% up/down
> overnet          0 /3 % up/down
> emule            90/65% up/down

Well, at least you get 65% of all stuff from emule. The difference between
up and down is not that big, and if you don't count the d/l from overnet and
edonkey
itself, you get about 87% from emule and 13% from mldonkey (i.e. if you had
disabled edonkey and overnet because you don't give anything to them...),
meaning you would have nearly equal upload and download rates.

For me it's different: % of seen clients / % of upload / % of download
edonkey :  2.41 / 55.26 / 44.67
mldonkey: 15.73 / 12.27 /  4.89
overnet :  0.95 /  0.00 /  9.98
emule   : 80.93 / 32.46 / 40.46

(I use newest CVS with the 4 patches by pango and standard settings, i.e.
slots for emule reduced).

So, for me it looks like mldonkey is the big leecher.
(BTW, 15% of all clients seen are mldonkey, that nearly every 6th person is
running mldonkey. Wow!!)

However I give more to mldonkey than I get from it. Does that mean that I
should bann all MLDonkey-Users. They are giving me nearly nothing (not even
5%). Also the original client takes more than it gives. It probably just
depends on the files you search. Banning emule would be a bad thing, and
would surely increase the number of mldonkey-haters.

--

CU/2, Christian "M(i)ndflay(e)r" Klein

EMail:          address@hidden
Homepage:       http://www.handshake.de/~klex/