[Mldonkey-users] Re: Where are the .tar.gz of 2.5.23, 2.5.24 ?

From: spiralvoice
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Re: Where are the .tar.gz of 2.5.23, 2.5.24 ?
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 12:57:58 +0200

Hi,

there is no really stable version without bugs, but that is not only
the case with MLDonkey;-)

On the german forum we advise to use 2-5-16r, compiled with Ocaml
3.07+2 because there are still issues with compatability to Ocaml
3.08.0.

This is also the version I am using here myself (only ed2k+Overnet) and
it is solid, no crashes, no file corruption. A collection of serious
bugs for this version was posted by me already on the english forum
though.

So my advise to package maintainers is to regard 2-5-16 as stable and
put 2-5-2x version into some kind of unstable branch.
In the case of Debian this should mean 2-5-2x is unstable and 2-5-16(x)
should be in testing.

@Curtis: According to
http://packages.gentoo.org/packages/?category=net-p2p;name=mldonkey
2.5.16-r7 is marked stable and 2.5.2x cores are unstable. So donĀ“t use
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86", use /etc/portage/portage.keywords instead to
unmask packages you want to have. Then you should get the stable core.

The only problem is, that lots of people already use 2-5-2x cores and
downgrading to 2-5-16 is not easy so maybe we should leave things as
they are and bring the 2-5-2x series to the same stability as 2-5-16.

Of course 2-5-25+ should be tested for 1-2 weeks before 2.6 is
released.

- spiralvoice