pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Body pane is wrongly resizing pan's top-level window [al

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Body pane is wrongly resizing pan's top-level window [almost solved]
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 21:01:22 +0000 (UTC)

walt posted on Tue, 07 Jul 2015 12:37:27 -0700 as excerpted:

> On Tue, 7 Jul 2015 18:46:55 +0000 (UTC)
> Duncan <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> walt posted on Tue, 07 Jul 2015 09:46:49 -0700 as excerpted:
>
>> > Amazing.  The resizing bug I've been describing happens only when I'm
>> > in the tabbed-layout mode (i.e. hit the 'z' hotkey) and, of course,
>> > viewing the body pane.  In non-tabbed mode the resizing problem goes
>> > away like magic.
>
>> Reproduced!
>
> Whew, that's a relief!
>
>> More testing to do, but FWIW, it ignored my normal kwin window rules to
>> do that.  Let's see how strict I have to make them to enforce...
>
> This detective stuff is fun but time consuming.

Heh, indeed!

What I've found here is that with pan in tabbed mode, the only kwin
window rule that works is forcing the size.  Forcing max size doesn't,
and forcing horizontally maximized doesn't.  Those settings are ignored,
even if the rule also forces ignore geometry requests and do NOT obey
geometry restrictions.

But forcing size DOES work.

Meanwhile, once size is forced, pan gets a bit more cooperative, and
rules can be relaxed a bit.  That complicated testing, as sometimes an
expected resize wouldn't happen, because I'd already forced the size.  I
didn't test to total reproducibility in this area as there are quite a
few rule variables involved.

> In the ChangeLog I see this entry:
>
> 0.94: Ready! Fire! Aim!
> <snippage>
> * fixed resize error in tabbed layout mode. (Robert Marshall, Eric
> Ortega)
>
> That was done before git, unfortunately.  Can you think of a way I can
> find out what code was patched?  Was there a VCS repo before git?  I
> can't remember back that far :)

IIRC it was an svn repo, hosted by gnome.  Before that I think it was cvs,
but I think that might have been C pan, before the C++ rewrite, so svn
likely contains the early C++ history, at least since 0.90 release.
(Prior to that I think the C++ rewrite project was CKerr's private repo,
and I'm not sure whether it was initial-lump-checkin or broken down into
individual commits.)

So the question would be if gnome's SVN repos are still around,
presumably frozen, for historical reference.

Meanwhile, you could check gnome bugzilla and this list for bugs/posts by
the listed names.  I have the gmane newsgroup form of the list archived
here (set unexpiring), and see posts from Robert Marshall dated
2003-2011.  Eric Ortega has posts from 2002 (early in gmane's history,
right after it started carrying this list/group and comparable to my own
first posts here) to 2006.

In fact, Eric's last listed posts are to a "pan 0.93 - resizing" thread,
in April of 2006.  Robert posts to it as well.  Given the changelog
mention was for 0.94, that's very likely it.  Actually, the thread starts
as the 0.93 announcement thread, with Robert changing the subject in a