pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Body pane is wrongly resizing pan's top-level window

From: walt
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Body pane is wrongly resizing pan's top-level window
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2015 14:30:06 -0700

On Sun, 5 Jul 2015 03:19:59 +0000 (UTC)
Duncan <address@hidden> wrote:

> wmctrl: A third party utility that lets you do all sorts of window-
> manager control type stuff from the commandline.
>
> xdotool: This one was originally designed by a window-manager author
> as a utility to compliment his window manager.

I just spent the morning with these two, and they taught me more about
penguins than I really wanted to know ;)

One experiment produced an interesting surprise that I can't even begin
to explain:

First, this part worked exactly as expected under 'normal' conditions:

xdotool search Pan: windowsize 400 400  (it resized pan's window to 400
by 400 pixels)

But, when I told pan to view one of those hinky jpegs (and pan resized
its window to about 3000 pixels wide) the same xdotool command
resized the  *height* of pan's window to 400 but the width remained
unchanged at about 3000 pixels.

How can a window resist half of a command yet obey the other half?

Did you get mail yesterday?

BTW, wmctrl (unlike xdotool) does case-insensitive searches, so be
careful if you give commands to 'pan' rather than 'Pan' because it may
affect your 'panel' instead of 'pan'.  I managed to resize my panel to
invisibility and couldn't figure out where it went :)  Okay, I'm tired
now.