pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Body pane is wrongly resizing pan's top-level window

From: walt
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Body pane is wrongly resizing pan's top-level window
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2015 15:11:13 -0700

On Fri, 3 Jul 2015 06:22:05 +0000 (UTC)
Duncan <address@hidden> wrote:

> KWin window rules:
>
> Match tab:
>
> Window class: substring match: "pan pan"
> Window role: exact match: "pan-main-window"

Just curious how you came up with "pan-main-window" as the string to
use.  Is there a kde utility that allows you to inspect a window for
such meta-data?

> Window type: normal window
> Window title: substring match: "Pan"

Wow, kde (or plasma, or whatever it's called now) has changed a *lot*
in the last year or so.  (I installed kde/plasma on Arch in a VM so I
wouldn't have to spend all day compiling dozens of packages.)

The reason I switched to gnome years ago was the gnome multiload panel
applet, which allows me to see a graphical display of network traffic,
cpu usage, memory usage, swap space and hard disk activity, all visible
continuously in the panel.  I don't understand how anyone can live
without it.

Today I saw that kde has introduced equivalent gadgets available for
installation in its own panel, so I could actually consider switching
back to kde. I'll play with kde some more and ponder it.

Alas, I was able to configure kwin to limit the size of pan's main
window, which worked correctly *until* I viewed one of those hinky
jpegs and then pan did it's usual thing and resized its own window to
larger than the screen size in spite of kwin's efforts.  I don't
understand how this can happen, but it does.