Re: [Adonthell-general] Introduction

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Introduction
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 14:29:40 +0100

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002 22:52:10 -0500 (EST) Brian Bruns wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> My son and I are on a mission to create an rpg game as his
> introduction to programming, so we stumbled on adonthell.  First let
> me say it's a very impressive effort!
>
> I was looking for something in python or another simple scripting
> language to teach him the mechanics of things, and the C++ game engine
> looks really well designed (if not feature complete). So, long story
> short, I'll probably be spending some time adding what we need to the
> core engine while he tries to create the game.
>
> So, anyway, I was wondering if somebody could give me a quick overview
> of the steps to bootstap this little endevour?

Sure. Although depending on the game you two plan, it will be a rather
large endeavour ;).

So, uh, what exactly do you want to know? Simply how to put a game
together with the current engine? Or information how everything works
together? Or something else?

For a better overview over the code (and basic documentation of some
parts of the core engine) you might want to create the code
documentation. Just configure with --enable-doc. See the INSTALL file a
bit further down for the details.

As said above, once I know what kind of information you want, I (or
somebody else) can provide that, no problem!