Re: [Adonthell-general] Introduction first draft

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Introduction first draft
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 16:08:47 +0100

On 30 Mar 2002 13:10:24 +0100 Alexandre Courbot wrote:

> > Hm, I've started to write something up. And I figure that it isn't
> > *that* easy to start a new game from scratch. That means that the
> > introduction get's rather lengthy ;).
>
> Why not working with the 0.4 branch, which is much more flexible,
> especially regarding directories? The map engine isn't there yet, but
> there is enough to play with the others modules. It would be much
> easier for Brian to work with this branch, and would allow us to start
> some doc at the same time.

Will the new branch be that much different? Sure, it'll allow to install
the data to ~/.adonthell/ instead of /usr/local/share/adonthell. It also
will be able to handle files sitting at different locations. And a
window theme and a font will be available with the engine. But apart
from those details, the overall data structure won't really change, will
it?

The API will change, but we'll have the same kind of scripts and data
(even though the format of the data will be different). So I think it
wouldn't be too much of a waste to document the old data, as long as we
don't go too much into details. It's not too much work and I need a bit
of a break from coding anyway. Even better, with the documentation we
might see where there is room (or need) for improvement.

As for using the 0.4 branch: it's not ready yet. And although it will be
much better than 0.3 once it is ready, it might take a while. Right now
it's impossible to even start making a game with 0.4, whereas it can be
done with 0.3, even though it's rather limited and awkward due to the
lack of editors.