[Monotone-devel] Re: is monotone for me?

From: Gour
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: is monotone for me?
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 15:44:37 +0200

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 14:57:25 +0200
>>>>>> "Thomas" == Thomas Keller <address@hidden> wrote:

Thomas> Have you ever tried ikiwiki? This is a nice and very expandable
Thomas> (plugins) wiki engine which comes with support for different
Thomas> SCMs, amongst them monotone.

Nope, but weas reading about it...

Thomas> Basically texinfo, what Stephen said, with lots of custom
Thomas> hacked CSS from me to make it pretty :)

Heh, it really does not look like common texinfo stuff. :-)

Thomas> Well, I can't exactly say if monotone is the right tool for you
Thomas> - as others said it works good for medium-size projects, but
Thomas> can be slow for particular use cases, like very big trees (tens
Thomas> of thousands of files) and many, many concurrent users.

We won't most probably have such a project.

Thomas> But we're actually still want you to test it out if it works,
Thomas> because you have a very good and easy exit strategy with our
Thomas> fast export to git, which is understood by other SCMs as well.

:-)

I'm more interesting for enter stategy. ;)

Thomas> We discussed that here over and over and basically it was some
Thomas> kind of generation change, the original developer(s) left the
Thomas> project, probably also a bit overrun by the tremendous success
Thomas> of git, and a few people who kept loving this SCM kept around
Thomas> and tried to start anew. The community is small and the amount
Thomas> of active developers is even smaller, but thats the classic
Thomas> vicious circle, not many users will not lead to many patche -
Thomas> still, we fight and continue to fight on all fronts as time
Thomas> permits.

How many devs are actively working on mtn?

It seems people should become burnt with Git before looking for
alternatives.

Thomas> I guess in the (near) future indefero (http://indefero.net)
Thomas> will also offer monotone hosting. I'm currently just waiting
Thomas> for my patch [0] to get included in their trunk, which should
Thomas> happen within the next couple of days.

Great news!

Thomas> I have a monotone server running on a small-sized VPS with only
Thomas> 200MB fixed RAM and the ability to boost that to 600MB, and I
Thomas> have many other memory hogs on this system as well
Thomas> (spamassassin f.e.). The server works quite well and fast -
Thomas> though it only serves a couple of smaller branches, one of them
Thomas> being guitone.

Not bad. Maybe I should try to install some repo on my WF account and
check it out.

Still, indefero option sounds great. ;)

Thomas> I'm the author of guitone and I'd say the recent versions
Thomas> should be very well capable of replacing the CLI indeed (after
Thomas> all guitone is targeted at exactly your envisioned user group).

Wonderful!

Thomas> I'd love to get some earlier feedback
Thomas> from you on guitone though, so I'd be happy if you try it out
Thomas> before it hits 1.0 :)

I created package for Archlinux and installed. Now I need to learn
more about mtn and then I'll put guitone to some more serious testing
providing you with (hopefully) some valauble feedback.

Thanks a lot for your input.

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Hlapicina, Croatia  | GPG key: F96FF5F6