[Monotone-devel] Re: is monotone for me?

From: Lapo Luchini
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: is monotone for me?
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 16:23:17 +0200

Gour wrote:
> Thomas> The server works quite well and fast -
> Thomas> though it only serves a couple of smaller branches, one of them
> Thomas> being guitone.
>
> Not bad. Maybe I should try to install some repo on my WF account and
> check it out.

In my experience a server serving all my small projects plus a comlpete
copy of mtn itself's repository used up about 200MB of RAM, but since my
server was very much memory-constrained, I decided to use usher (a small
daemon that spawns mtn server on-demand) and that uses about 6MB of
resident memory while waiting for calls, and the spawned mtn process
takes up to 105MB while sync'ing the whole mtn tree (which is a DB 200MB
worth, but really I don't think the memory needed is related to the
database size).

But you can check it yourself easily enough (taking a bit of time):

1. choose an existing project that matches and "pull" it locally, e.g.
my existing local copy of the monotone repository itself (branch
net.venge.monotone and some selected ones of the others).

2. spawn a local copy of the server

3. sync with it locally

4. check the server size

that is:

[1]
% mtn -d test.mtn db init
% mtn -d test.mtn pull monotone.ca net.venge.monotone
[2]
% mtn -d test.mtn serve --bind 127.0.0.1:4691
[3]
% mtn -d test2.mtn db init
% mtn -d test2.mtn pull 127.0.0.1 net.venge.monotone
[4]
% ps waux|fgrep mtn

--
Lapo Luchini - http://lapo.it/

“We do what we must because we can.” (videogame "Portal", 2007)