[Monotone-devel] Re: is monotone for me?

From: Lapo Luchini
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: is monotone for me?
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 15:53:14 +0200

Stephen Leake wrote:
> Obviously, it needs a medium-sized memory :). mtn uses sqlite for the
> backend database; that reads the entire database into memory.

Uh? Entire DB in memory? I don't think it does... of course if it fits
then access of the next users is faster, but that's normal filesystem
cache issues, not monotone loading it all.
Not the last time I checked, at least...

Myself I've sync'ed the database with the photos of the last summits a
few times, and that's for sure bigger than the RAM of laptop I did use.

> With ssh access, only one user can access the db at a time

OTOH the 'usual' access is directly with netsync protocol, and that does
not have that limit: many users can sync concurrently (OTOH it's more
difficult to set up... as difficult as creating a couple of text
configuration files and starting the server at boot time, though).

--
Lapo Luchini - http://lapo.it/

“X-rays will prove to be a hoax.” (Lord Kelvin, 1883)