om-synth

Re: [Om-synth] om, patchage and whysynth

From: Dave Robillard
Subject: Re: [Om-synth] om, patchage and whysynth
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 12:07:43 +1000

On Wed, 2005-19-10 at 18:00 +0200, Antonio wrote:
> Hi to the list,
>
> I want to do my sincere thanks to the developer/s of this wonderful
> synth (om) and this innovative patch bay (patchage). I like them a lot,
> and I hope they will become one of my favourite instrument in the
> linux-audio world.

You're welcome. :)

> Now let me to do some questions :). I've installed lash, dssi, om,
> patchage and whysynth (for all of them I've used the latest tarball, no
> the cvs) on my Debian testing/unstable system. As you can understand I'm
> new to those programs, so excuse me if I do some trivial question. I'm
> beginning to play with them but I have some problem.
>
> 1) In om_gtk, when I create a new patch, how can I add a dssi plugin?
> Using the menu Add-> Plugin... I see only the internal om plugins and
> the ladspa plugins, no dssi plugin is listed. I want to use whyshynth
> through om ;-).

Sounds like your Om wasn't built with DSSI support (it's optional at
compile time).  Either that or you've installed your DSSI plugins
somewhere that Om can't find them - the console output from Om will give
you all the information you need on this.

> 2) I've downloaded the patches from Lars Luthman's site and they mostly
> don't work. I've installed all the ladspa plugins present in debian. I
> think the problem is with the slide sub-patch. How can I tell om to be
> aware of this new patch so it can be loaded when needed? (I hope I am
> been clear enough).

Patch dependencies aren't resolved magically yet, you just need to be
sure you have it (likely in the same directory as the patch that uses
it, but it depends).

The patch repository discussion going on right now is about the same
problem, it will be fixed soon hopefully, and everything will Just
Work(TM).

Larsl has actually started flattening patches due to this problem, which
is EVIL..  meaning this is a problem that definitely needs to be fixed.

> 3) If I launch whysynth with jack-dssi-host, I can't see in patchage the
> midi input (I mean, there's no green box on the whysynth box). There is
> something I can do to made the midi connection?

Sounds like maybe your patchage wasn't built with alsa MIDI support (or
maybe it's so old it's not even in that version)?  Does anything have a
MIDI port at all?

Cheers,

-DR-