Re: [linuxiran] farsi linux site

From: Hooman Baradaran
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] farsi linux site
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 21:13:19 -0400

> I live in a university, with students from all around the world. From
> different places, Arabs, Africans, Germans, English, Italians, Finns,
> Turks and even Americans are present here. And all of them, refer to
> our language as Farsi. Most of them know that Perisna==Farsi but they
> seldom use the word Persian. Farsi is much more popular.

I don't know where you're studying but I'm guessing that's the US. Because in
the US pretty much everywhere including VOA call it Farsi while here in
Canada (mostly) they call it Persian.
I once wrote Google and told them and asked them to rename Persian to Farsi
but later I figured there are many other projects that call it Persian (while
the it is still presendted with "FA"!) so I thought although Farsi is more
correct we shouldn't really worry about it now unless we want to change the
name in all those projects.
Besides, IMO, Persian sounds a little better.

> However, after I became part of FarsiKDE, that view changed. As many
> people know, the KDE interface is far from being formal or cold. It is
> very "hackerish". Using words such a Kandalf (refer to Gandalf the
> grey) and playing with english names such as conqueror, contact, etc.

I was talking about Farsi interfaces in general. Although I personally don't
like Farsi translations for technical terms I would defently recommend
FarsiKDE to people who are more comfortable with Farsi.

> FarsiKDE is not perfect as it currently stands. But I don't call it cold
> or formal either. If you think that Farsi interfaces are too formal in
> general, then I invite you to join FarsiKDE, and make it "cool".

No project is ever perfect. But I think FarsiKDE is one of the best Farsi
projects around.

--
Hooman Baradaran
address@hidden