Re: [DotGNU]The C# Book - The plan

From: S11001001
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]The C# Book - The plan
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 16:57:58 -0500

Peter Minten wrote:
at the moment there is still a lot unclear about the book, these issues
are still open:

* Texinfo or LaTex. Texinfo has the advantage of being a GNU standard,
but it has been told that LaTex produces better PDF output. Of course we
could also use Docbook or LinuxDoc. I suggest we decide this matter by
democratic voting.

Ah, now that stuff about better PDF output is just silly. It all goes through TeX anyway.

Texinfo is an easier-to-use format than those others, doesn't have the bloat of DocBook, and generates nice output variety.

I have a copy of the Texinfo manual from 4.0 on my bookshelf, and reading it made everything easy. It is an excellent reference I use every time I write Texinfo. However, I suggest that anyone reading this have a look at the features introduced since, such as @copying, which the writers of the book should definitely use and require makeinfo >= 4.1, like GCC.

* The location of the files. Do we create yet another savannah project
or do we put the file into an existing project and if so in which
project?

YASP, or Gopal's dotgnu-doc folder.

* Title of book.

Whatever it be, don't say "C#" in the title. The focus should be DotGNU and Portable .NET, not the language. The language is secondary. i.e.,

The language used in writing pnet programs is called @dfn{C#}. It is a new language created specifically for webservices, and standardized by the @address@hidden European Computer Manufacturers' Association has standardized C# as @uref{http://ecma.ch/forgot/the/Url, ECMA-33[45]? (TODO)}.} In chapters 2, 3, 4, and 5, we will teach you the basics of writing programs in the C# language. We will also show you how to put these programs into a @dfn{build system}, which will compile your program source files with @command{cscc} into programs that you can run.

(TODO: also explanations of compilation, @dots{})

* Division of work.

Why bother? Just say "any1 who wants to write something, write it and submit to Savannah patch control"

* Writing style (how to mark important stuff, how much illustrations are
used, etc).

Most output (i.e. Terminal) could just be showed in @smallexample blocks. Texinfo includes commands to `mark important stuff'. See node `Glyphs' (type `gGlyphs') in the texinfo manual (`info texinfo').

`illustrations' is a vague term. If you mean `examples', then I would like to see one per node (new concept). If you mean `pictures', then as little as possible (maybe some logos, showing GUI programming...)

* A detailed listing of all the chapters to serve as a map of what needs
to be done.

That would be a useful part of the manual itself, perhaps as the introduction. Then as the chapters' purposes change, you can update that node.

* Things I haven't though of yet.

Cannibalize! There are two other Free programming-intro manuals I know of, the GNU C Tutorial Book 1 (http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/ctut-mb-rwhe), and Introduction to Programming in Emacs Lisp (don't have a URL, but it *has* been published in book form by FSF, so shouldn't be too hard to find).

* Explain important concepts in special paragraphs.

Hm, just put a @strong{Important!}: before the para ;)

--
Stephen Compall
DotGNU `Contributor' -- http://www.dotgnu.org

This societal shift is letting users take back control of their
futures. Just as the Magna Carta gave rights to British subjects, the
GPL enforces consumer rights and freedoms on behalf of the users of
computer software.
        -- Evan Leibovitch, "Who's Afraid of Big Bad Wolves"