Re: [DotGNU]The C# Book - The plan

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]The C# Book - The plan
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 19:01:28 +0530

If memory serves me right, Norbert Bollow wrote:
> * For whom are we writing the book?

This is a migration document to help Java people start working
on C# .. Or at least make C# learning curve a little flatter for
a hard working C programmer ... (ie OOP is dealt with lightly)

> * Why will these people be interested in the book?

This is a book to describe the use of the Portable.Net while
programming in C# . It covers features like the command line
syntax , the extra libs and the language features . The full
use of C# beyond the OO stage Java has achieved like Properties
Events and Attributes should be well documented.

It will focus on C# but not as "language" but as a set of features
in C# ... So the common down to earth stuff like "if"/"switch" can
be ignored or mentioned in the passing (in examples)...

More emphasis lies on our Non ECMA stuff , like the dotgnu.*
namespaces as well as developing new libs .

> Maybe we should have two books, one called "Learning C#", and
> one called "DotGNU webservices".

"Learning DotGNU -- C# Programming with Portable.Net" is the title
as of now ...

I've decided on texinfo for it and will use @include extensively to
allow multiple people to work effectively from CVS. I will have a
preliminary version scavenged from the HACKING files & pnettools.texi
to make it to the pnet meeting this weekend. So anyone contributing/
interested in putting a spare hour into it, please meet me then.

Gopal