Re: [DotGNU]The C# Book - The plan

From: D.I.Freeman
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]The C# Book - The plan
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 01:48:27 +0100 (BST)

On Sun, 7 Jul 2002, Peter Minten wrote:
> > * Do not created a bloated book, keep the book as concise
> > as possible.
>
> Good idea.

Um, at risk of making a stupid suggestion, we should be aiming for something
about the same size as K&R, its small enough to be light to read and to not
get bogged down, but well written enough to cover the core of what is needed.

> > I am standing, what now :-)

Oh, go on then, I will stand up as someone to help if I can find time.
(two OSS projects and a degree to do)

> What do you want to do? If you want to help writing the book please tell
> us what part you're interested in (for example writing about the basic
> structure of the language or about some classes in pnetlib).

Um, do we really need to have a BIIIIG reference book, looking at my book
shelf the most useful books I have are K&R and JAVA in a Nutshell, personally
I think we should aim for something like this, where we have one book to
describe the use of the language, which covers all the stuff others have
suggested, then we have a book like JIAN which catalogues each of the pnet
classes, there is no need to have this stuff in an Introductory book. Also
if we put a SMALL introduction in the nutshell version, which covers the syntax
but doesn't go into the detail needed to teach a novice, we will then have a
book which is of more use to a developer coming from another language.

um, I hope that makes sense, its late here now.