Re: [DotGNU]Java Usage

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Java Usage
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 20:55:57 +0530

If memory serves me right, James Michael DuPont & Boris Kolar wrote:

> Translation of the java to c#?

Manually that is possible ... but might be slightly hard if it depends
on the java libs extensively .

> Translation of the Class to IL ...

I had done the .class meta-data loading , parsing and disassembly for jilc.
(http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/jilc)

But their IL codgen is yet to reach any usable level (it works for opcodes
not for opcode parameters).

> > Translation of the Class to IL, and then from IL to C#?
>
> Translation Class -> IL: YES. IL -> C#: NO. It doesn't make
> sense to translate IL to C#. In fact, C# translates to IL.

No IL cannot be retraced to C# (almost Mission Impossible)...
But if we could translate JVM to IL , we could execute it in
pnet currently.

> I know that gopal was doing some interesting stuff with this,
> what is currently being done and how far is it?

Lately I've not been into that since last january . My work on the
JVM verifier got lost in a HDD failure and I lost about 2 weeks worth
of verifier code. I really hate to rewrite code which I have done
once and this resulted in /me dumping that project for sometime later.

I had sort of hoped to do it sometime soon... I had planned on doing
the verifier and generating CVM code from the JVM and in all running
.class files directly . It is easy and a careful readthru of the
(pnet/engine/verify_*.c) files will show a lot code we can reuse ,like
the stack/localvar macros , type compares , cast checks etc ...

I'm currently slightly sick and am not able to get into "Deep Hack" mode.
So this will have to wait ... atleast for now.

> C# -> IL (part of DotGNU - partly done)

well

C# -> Class (part of DotGNU - partly done )

Assembler missing .class metadata support (/home/gopal/frozen/java_writer.c)

> Class -> IL (to do)

Possible ... very much . just needs tracking of local var types with a
verifier.

> IL -> Class (to do)

Difficult : IL has a lot of extra opcodes JVM does not have

Gopal