Re: [Gnumed-devel] re: sourceforge ldap

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] re: sourceforge ldap
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 16:41:02 +0200

> Yes an LDAP-based match provider class needs to be written along similar
> lines to the SQL match providers that we have, if we decide to go down this
> path.
That sounds like a reasonable first step but it still lacks
the use case, eg someone saying "now, here, this doc wants to
use GnuMed for that and his GP division's address book
is offered as LDAP at this address, so let's give him the
tool". I strongly believe in such things. They make first
implementations so much easier.

> >  I was thinking of ldap organizational directory , but
> > for database completeness, there would probably have to be postgres
> > tables to store the same data.
> Why? As I said, LDAP can run alongside the postgres database.
And, at the end of the day, reliable local LDAP servers are
likely to store their information in PostgreSQL anyways (under
their own governance, that is).