Re: [Gnumed-devel] re: sourceforge ldap

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] re: sourceforge ldap
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 13:44:12 +0200

> THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CONTACTS AND PATIENTS!!!
Why of course there is and there's no need for shouting. The
context-agnostic data is no different, of course, but it's the
context that defines things such as need-for-protection. It's
less important to hide that Dr.X does business with Dr.Y but
it may be of vital importance to not let it be known
improperly that Patient M sees Dr.X. And that's the
assumption most people will make about the fact that patient
demographic data are going to be stored off-site.

> Putting the patients onto an LDAP server would indeed be a huge advantage,
> since that's the easiest and most standard conformant way of sharing
> addresses.
And the greatest disadvantage of the huge advantage would be
that it is impractical/unworkable today.

Unless one adheres to LDAP-yes but local-only. Which still
leaves the technical hurdle in place which will exclude the
vast majority of sites I can think of would use GnuMed today
if they could.