Re: NSMovieDirectory

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: NSMovieDirectory
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 16:04:19 +0100

Hi,

let me sum up what I did, because this input spawned a lot of work!

Bertrand Dekoninck wrote:
But the NSMoviesDirectory is lacking.

Should I try to add it to base or to NSWorkspace.m as NSMusicDirectory is already ?

I added support for NSMoviesDirectory. It has to be called Videos, the name is fixed as other directories. Videos seems also the most common name (windows included). The name is of course NSMoviesDirectory, because we retain code compatibility with Cocoa!
Thematic was quickly updated too.

Base and Gui were updated to handle Images, Movies and other folders more compliant to 10.6/10.8 with the correct functions, instead of being "hacked in" as before. Some of these were written in GNUstep when we only had certain 10.4 functions, so the code was some kind of hybrid.

Testing the code on Mac with Bertrand, showed that Mac tries to be very smart with symlinks and I tried to implement that. The "original" image is alwas retrieved. So if a folder is either a direct symlink to a special fodler or inside a sylinked folder, the special folder icon is returned by [NSWorkspace iconForFile]

Added to that, I adapted and cleaned up GWorkspace to keepup with this and handle symlinks, including displaying them GWorkspace attempts also a crude localization attempt, which in simple cases seems to work decently, but might have sideffects in trnslating unwanted stuff.

Thus I think we have a pretty decent situation now, let's settle the dust a bit and see if everything works fine. We don't try to do any smartness with existing folders, freedesktop, already translated folder or such, but at least we are consistent with ourselve sand a "clean" GNUstep environment should work.

Riccardo

PS: wouldn't it be nice if Open and Save panel displayed their special folder icons too?