Re: Support RMS

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Support RMS
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 10:25:05 +0300

* Danny Spitzberg <stationaery@gmail.com> [2021-04-16 09:48]:
> > You bring up some ha ha cultural differences, but some people are more
> > free and some not.
>
> Jean, I mention the bare feet to suggest that my recollection of the story
> is accurate, and the point about smell was to add specificity to how close
> I was sitting. You assume too much.

How do I who read your story, can know that you are proving to
yourself, not to readers, how it is accurate. To prove to readers,
please find some other person who remembers bare feet, than also that
angrily talking, that we can understand objectively what was said and
why.

Can you finally find which session was it:
https://media.libreplanet.org/u/libreplanet/collection/libreplanet-2018-videos-and-slides/

> > What I would suggest to you Deb is to start traveling and learn what
> > our planet really is.
>
> I’ve traveled extensively, thank you. It has indeed been revealing. I
> especially appreciate visiting with people who are kind and capable
> leaders, who practice nonviolence and take a cooperative approach. Also,
> it’s nice when people take a stance against free software being used by
> armed forces and militaries... but that’s another topic.

You have to travel to cultures not similar to yours, not like
Western-style of cultures, try Greece, Sicily, Turkey, visit people in
their homes, eat with them, understand differences.

Now by saying people who are kind and capable leaders, do you wish to
imply that RMS is not kind and capable leader?

On majority of public speeches RMS appears kind and that he is
capable, there is result speaking for itself, we would not have GNU
without RMS, we would not have Linux kernel without RMS speaking on
University in Helsinki where Linus decided to license it under GPL, as
it was proprietary in the first place; there would be neither FSF
neither the Libreplanet. You can I hope, realize, how much is that all
caused by RMS and his delegation of responsibilities to other people.

That RMS is capable is out of question for me, you can speak about
behavior, but there is no way to convince those having analytical
skills that RMS is not capable.

That RMS is not capable is a point that accusers wish to make, and
that is the lie. But they cannot make it objectively.

Now in your stories of seeing leaders kind and capable, you did not
tell us how much of first hand experience you have with those leaders
in other countries as compared to RMS.

As I know many leaders who are kind in public, but they are tigers in
the activities behind, and not everybody like to work with
tigers. Leaders accomplish so much more than other people, they focus
and sacrifice much more than common people. They may behave quite
inadequate to many around them who are by mistake with them.

I say by mistake, because leaders technically, cannot work with
everybody. They have to choose those who understand their purposes
fully and can equally act with them. It is an information
warfare.

Why generals have their officers to work with them? Why generals don't
interact directly with soldiers in hierarchy? This is because there
are transitions between people, generals can possibly speak to
officers around them, but cannot speak to soldiers, as their
viewpoints cannot be easily explained, they have to be dissected.

Those who work with RMS and fail to work truly on purpose are by
mistake there, they have to be on some other place. Either do the work
properly, or resign and do something else.

> Also, it’s nice when people take a stance against free software
> being used by armed forces and militaries... but that’s another
> topic.

It is not, it is quite good place for a topic. And I find it good that
you disclose this. This is type of disagreements that I have mentioned
previously today where personal disagreements are influencing
judgments about legal behavior of somebody else, this case RMS.

IMHO, your personal political issues you have not expressed enough,
and you have disagreements, but instead of expressing your personal
issues, you attack the other person, in this case RMS. This may be not
conscious on your part. I may be wrong, but that is what impression I
get now.

Maybe you don't see it, but you are on Libreplanet for what? Are you
for free software or not? If you are, then why would be nice to take a
stance against free software being used in armed forces and
militaries? It is not other topic, it is very related. Maybe you never
understood what is free software.

It may be used to kill somebody, that is why it is free software. It
may be used to run the machines that penetrate women vagina or
automatically ejaculate penises, it may be used to open and close
doors of slaves' cages trafficked for sex, it may be used to automate
vehicles that deliver dead bodies into mass graves.

While those are mostly immoral inhumane issues (except the machine)
that is what free software is for.

If you advocate in FSF or on this mailing list that it would be nice
to forbid software to be used in some what you personally think
immoral situations, that is where larger disagreement comes, those are
larger way larger issues than what you said about RMS.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://stallmansupport.org/