Re: [Mldonkey-users] Latest CVS after 10min

From: MLdonkey
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Latest CVS after 10min
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 00:18:05 +0100

>  this is bad.
>  it will make mldonkey look bad.

It already looks bad for a lot of Windows users. Do you remember the
"ban mldonkey" feature in lugdunum servers ?

>  it will give problems to sharers (i guess about half my downloaders
>  are emule, other half edonkey, there almost no mldonkeys)

If you are right, your upload queue will be 1/3 Emule and 2/3
eDonkey. Does it really matter ? Emule clients can still download from
you. If they are correct Emule clients, they will immediatly share
your files, and you will be happy. With edonkey clients, there are
even more guarantees that they will share your files after the
download (with Emule, there are so many cheat mods...)

Note also that the limit applies on the number of slots, not on the
bandwidth. If you have only Emule clients in your queue, they will
take 100% of the upload bandwidth, not 1/3.

>  it shouldn't matter what client someone is using.
>  i dont want to run a unfair client. i really hope this is reconsiderd.

We can consider adding an option to choose the limitation (between 30%
for me and 100% for you).

>  > For the banning system, it ensures that clients don't reask the same
>  > file within 9 minutes, whatever client they use.
>  i think most of the emule guys realized this is the wrong aproach, most mods
>  seem to be less strict, like multiple times 3 requsts in 10 min, else each
>  pause/resume, even a server-reconect or a client-crash-restart can
>  lead to a ban.

MLdonkey clients have been forced to use the 10 minutes retry delay
because of Emule. Now, we should accept that Emule clients can retry
more often, just because they decided so ???? Queue-jumping is a
cheat.

>  also, how long are the clients banned? 1 hour would be about right.

First of all, it is only a CVS version. These changes are experimental
features. The current settings are:

* Banned after reconnecting too fast (9 minutes) 3 times.
* Clients are banned for 6 hours.
* Records are removed every hours (ie you can reconnect 2 times very
 fast every hour)

- MLDonkey