Re: [Tinycc-devel] License is too restrictive for real-world use.

From: Dimitris Chloupis
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] License is too restrictive for real-world use.
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2016 11:59:04 +0000

I have to confess being very new to this list I dont get what your problem is.

I am not an experienced C++ coder but from the very little I know C/C++ development take advantage of shared libraries , LGPL does not touch shared libraries. The way I see it  because of how popular way of coding shared libraries are LGPL would be better called LMIT or LBSD since its far closer to those licenses than it is to GPL. It frees you up to close source a ton of things.

All you have to do is take your code from inside TinyCC and move it to shared library and voila you can close source it , end of story. Sure the part that is inside TinyC calling the shared library would have to be open sourced but then what the value of it is to close source it anyway ?

As a matter of fact thank you for starting this thread because I also assumed that LGPL was a viral licesnse like GPL and much closer to GPL , now I see that it can be easily be used in place of MIT and BSD license for project depending on shared libraries which is a vast majority of projects. Now I understand why LGPL is so popular.

And If I am not mistaken TinyCC can be used as a library anyway which make your life even easier.

Of course all that assumes that you will be making a product of substantial profit, or else is just none sense talk.