Re: LYNX-DEV more on the newspost problem

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV more on the newspost problem
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 09:58:51 +0900 (JST)

> > Defining NNTPSERVER:genetics.upenn.edu in lynx.cfg and then creating the
> > link `news:perl.porters-gw' works as expected, too.
[...]
> This however, won't do the general user any good - there are lots of
> NNTP servers available and forcing them to use only one is all right for
> now, but shouldn't lynx be flexible enough to handle at least an attempt
> to post to others?
     ^^^^
Lynx isn't doing the posting, and actually I'm generally in favor of keeping
everything out of lynx itself except for the bare essentials of a browser.
Don't get me wrong though, I want the same flexibility you want, too.  It
may not be all that hard to do.

The news application I use (although I can't seem to get it configured just
right for lynx; it keeps taking over total control and won't simply post) will
take the name of the NNTP server as an argument (is that the right word) on
the command line.  Foreseeably, lynx could pass a default IP or prompt the
user for the NNTP server IP to pass to the news application.  Something
similar to the PRINTER:, VIEWER: or DOWNLOADER: options, where you pass
the file name with %s, except you would pass an IP.  Maybe something like
the following could be configured:

INEWS:echo -n "Enter name of NNTP server\: ";read server;/usr/local/bin/inews
 -h "$server".

But this is *post* lynx2-7 stuff, right?

__Henry
;
;