Re: GUI (was Re: [Gnumed-devel] Results tracking)

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: GUI (was Re: [Gnumed-devel] Results tracking)
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 15:03:37 +0100

> Sometimes there's a feature that
> Richard thinks is necessary, and may be difficult to implement
> and seem icing on the cake to a developer, and therefore frustrating  to do.
Well, one thing is that all developers around here are
potential users who know what they do in daily practice. We
don't fool ourselves about what is *really necessary*.

> the emr at work, tracking of meds is just a list of current recorded
> medications,
> and we do simple edit, delete, create on the list, and all the
> medication actions
> are recorded as auto-generated text in the narrative, ( probably not as
> action objects , but I'm not sure) . Is this all right for Karsten or
> Jim  ?
Alright with me for the first version. However, the first
version for medication tracking certainly isn't 0.1 either.

> My guess is, probably not good enough.  I hardly ever figure out the
> changes in medications by looking at the auto-generated text
Simple does not imply stupidly done. Our first meds tracking
may be simple but it will not be stupid. *That* is what I  mean
when I kindly ask for good code.

> On the other hand, if what you need
> is basically a script printer, and don't want to sprain a frontal lobe
> implementing medications, then it may be good enough.
You are talking two kettle of fish - do you want meds tracking
or a script printer or both ?  Of course, once you have a
script printer meds tracking should be driven by it (in
addition to manual editing).

> Then there are the problems of locality :
> might as well write a separate prescription module for each country
> gnumed is used .
If you focus on meds tracking first this problem pretty much
goes away.