Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: automatic bug report redirection

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: automatic bug report redirection
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 15:09:29 +0200

On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 08:38:38AM +0200, Gour wrote:

> >> 1. Most users are accustomed to create account and login to some
> >> website.  Only few know how to get GPG key and know how to configure
> >> their mail client.
> Karsten> I agree with this analysis.
>
> I simply disagree with your analysis...
>
> You are saying that it's too much expecting from users to have GPG setup
> ready, but otoh you wrote:
>
> Karsten> If a Windows user has trouble fulfilling dependancies they have
> Karsten> no business setting up a practice management system. They
> Karsten> should pay you, Jerzy, or someone with similar expertise to do
> Karsten> it for them.
>
> So, I cannot understand how someone is capable enough to setup "practice
> management system", but being not capable to have GPG key ready for
> signing :-/

I think you are confusing who is who.

It is Joe Random User who will encounter the rare bug in his
day to day business. She don't care how to fix the bug or
how to report the bug. They only care about getting their
day job done. But they'll thankfully hit "mail problem to IT
support" if it doesn't entail anything else needing doing.

This "IT support" target email is configurable.

Those people certainly have no business setting up a
production practice management system. That's the job of
their IT support.

> Otherwise, we'll still have mailing list filled with bug-reports without
> any tickets or record what is and when reported, fixed, etc.
>
> In that case, I suggest to, at least, open 'gnumed-users' so that one is
> not forced to receive bug-reports intermixed with other talk.

I have created gnumed-bugs to which we can direct bug
reports when I come back in October.

In the meantime people who don't want to see bug reports can
simply filter on "bug:" from the list.

> Then, if you don't like the above proposal, direct all bug reports to
> gnumed-bugs, don't use bug tracker and do all bug-tracking manually as
> it is done in the moment, but please, don't expect me to dig in the
> gnumed-bugs and manually open tickets at LP ;)

It's not that I don't like the proposal. It's just that I
know that most people will go to the trouble of going to a
bug tracker, registering, and reporting a bug usefully. I
know because we've been having a bug tracker which does
exactly what you proposed for years already.

> There is one more idea I have which is modification of 1) - to pick all
> the relevant data from the user and then send bug report to LP by using
> some kind of 'integrated' GNUmed email-account (knowable to LP)
This is done already.