Re: Re[6]: EOKeyValueCoding

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Re[6]: EOKeyValueCoding
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 13:15:15 +0000 (GMT)

>  >| >  >| > We talk about dev-lib/extensions ?
>  >| >  >| > I've checked a couple of file and found the following headers:
>  >| >  >| > <<
>  >| >  >| >    Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software
> and its
>  >| >  >| >    documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby
> granted,
>  >| >  >| > provided
>  >| >  >| >    that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that
> both
>  >| >  >| > that
>  >| >  >| >    copyright notice and this permission notice appear in
> supporting
>  >| >  >| >    documentation.
>  >| >  >| >
>  >| >  >| >    We disclaim all warranties with regard to this software,
> including
>  >| >  >| > all
>  >| >  >| >    implied warranties of merchantability and fitness, in no event
> shall
>  >| >  >| >    we be liable for any special, indirect or consequential
> damages or
>  >| >  >| > any
>  >| >  >| >    damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data or
> profits,
>  >| >  >| > whether in
>  >| >  >| >    an action of contract, negligence or other tortious action,
> arising
>  >| >  >| > out of
>  >| >  >| >    or in connection with the use or performance of this software.
>  >| >  >| >>>
>  >| >  >| >
>  >| >  >| > Isn't it sufficient to include this into a LGPL'ed project ?
>  >|
>  >| No
>
> Sorry, but could you elaborate a little more or give me some pointers so I
> can understand why ?

I'm not a lawyer :-) but this license is imposing some restrictions
(including the above copyright notice, including the permission notice in
supporting documentation ... and depending on how you interpret 'without
fee' it might even mean you can't use, copy, modify and distribute it for
a fee - so you can't put it into a linux distribution, which is
distributed for a fee).

Anyway - in all cases, if you take this code and change the copyright to
be a LGPL copyright, then you *are* violating these restrictions.  The
copyright doesn't give to you the permission to change the copyright into
another license.