Re: [Mldonkey-users] Investigation: No download for some, fulldownloads

From: René Gallati
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Investigation: No download for some, fulldownloads for the other
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 17:54:48 +0100

Hello,

> 1) What do you think of this approach ?
> 2) Do you know the approaches used in eMule, eDonkey or Overnet ?
>
> Note that we could implement three sets of sets of sources, ie one for
> high priority files, one for normal files, and one for low priority files.
>
> Any comments ?

I don't know if ocaml provides the feedback or not or if this is already
being done or not. However, whenever mldonkey opens a connection and the
peer there is down or has shutdown his application, the tcp-stack sends
either a connection reset (SYN, RST) or an appropriate ICMP message
(destination host/net/port unreachable) back. If such a thing is recieved,
drop that source immediatly.

I often run mldonkey for some time then need to shut it down for some days.
Since my firewall is very "sharp", I block everything that is not explicitly
allowed, which then causes me to recieve connection requests for three more
days (!!) on the former ports used by mldonkey.
Looking into this, I saw that there are some peers who just try and try and
try again (same ip). Their client simply doesn't get it...

Might as well be emule/edonkey's who just don't get it that there isn't any
peer anymore, but depending on the fact if mldonkey already does this or
not, it should drop "dead" sources immediatly. IF they reemerge later, they
will be back on servers so they will be found again - when they want to...

--

C U