Re: [Mldonkey-users] Investigation: No download for some, fulldownloads

From: MLdonkey
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Investigation: No download for some, fulldownloads for the other
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 17:27:22 +0100

>  I often run mldonkey for some time then need to shut it down for some days.
>  Since my firewall is very "sharp", I block everything that is not explicitly
>  allowed, which then causes me to recieve connection requests for three more
>  days (!!) on the former ports used by mldonkey.
>  Looking into this, I saw that there are some peers who just try and try and
>  try again (same ip). Their client simply doesn't get it...

Well, I understand that, but, on the other hand, I often stop my
client to play on my computer for one hour, and then restart
mldonkey. Other people start their client at 9am in the office, and
shut it down at 5pm before leaving. If they share a very rare file,
you will be happy to connect to them the day after (or the next
monday) because you have remembered them, and not because you are on
the same 30-users server that they have unluckily connnected
to. Moreover, source propagation will only work if you find someone
which is on the same server, which is also unlucky, because you are
only downloading rare files and so don't connect to many clients.

 So I don't think that remembering very old sources is such a bad
thing, unless your file has already many good sources, or you are
running out of memory.  The only thing that need to be to done is to
delay such reconnection attempts, such as a few hours instead of the
10 minutes of good sources.

- MLDonkey