Re: [Mldonkey-users] New source management

From: Pierre Etchemaite
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] New source management
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 15:59:09 +0100

Le Mon, 23 Dec 2002 15:09:43 +0100, Alois <address@hidden> a écrit :

> I think, that every source should get some kind of rating. Start rating
> of an unknown, new source that has one needed file is perhaps 1 for an
> normal Edonkey source, 1.1 for a newMLDonkey source, 0.8 for an Emule
> source etc.
> This number is sorted into the array to the other sources. The first
> item of the array is being connected maybe every 0.1 seconds. (or
> whatever this delay is set to). And the array has a max_length. If
> max_length is reached, the worst rated sources fall out. After a source
> was connected, it is rated again: If it has needed chunks, the rating is
> increased (rating=old_rating+2), if the connection fails, it is lowered
> (e.g. -3), if it has rare chunks it is increased even more (+4) and so on.
> There could also be a file priority setting, so that every source that
> has a priority file gets a higher rating.

Where did you get those optimal settings ? :)

I hope that if any such scheme replaces the actual connection backoff + LRU,
the two will be heavyly tested one against the other, because more complex
algorithm don't always mean better performance.

In fact, complex algorithms can fail in many new and strange ways...