Re: [Mldonkey-users] eMule Mod to emulate mldonkey

From: Goswin Brederlow
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] eMule Mod to emulate mldonkey
Date: 10 Jan 2003 03:53:03 +0100

address@hidden writes:

> Hello Goswin,
>
> I have the feeling that most of this discussion about emule leeching
> too much from us is just a misinterpretation.
> By looking at your stats (U/L= about 4GB D/L= about 470MB) I can see
> that you probably have an asynchronous line (probably ADSL in
> Germany).
> Now if you look at the percentages you are right, emule downloads more
> percent than it uploads but..
> (I extracted these four lines of your post in order to make it more
> obvious)
> GB>             Total downloads:         3985493989
> GB>                   new eMule:          726399354 (18.23 %)
> GB>               Total uploads:          468194304
> GB>                   new eMule:          194682723 (41.58 %)
>
> as you can see, you downloaded about 725MB from emule and uploaded
> "only" about 200MB. While this is not your fault since your upload is
> limited, looking at the situation in this way and saying that emule is
> leeching seems unfair.

The point is that emule gets more than its share of the little upload
I have. It would be more fair to give back in the same ratios I recieve.

With donkey this might not be so bad because other donke clients can
get stuff from emule too. But what about other networks that are not
donkey compatible. When mldonkey had their support enabled I heard
complains from them that mldonkey only takes and doesn't give back
immediatly.

> Of course all of use are looking for the best download rates. Anyway
> saying that emule is leeching is problematic in a situation where the
> bytes uploaded/downloaded ratio is, in most cases and for most
> networks, < 1.
>
> In you case for example upload/download for edonkey is
> 152217772 / 1577385090 =  0,0965
> meaning that you upload about 10% of what you download from edonkey
> (edonkey-uses could call that leeching)
>
> For emule u/d ratio is in your case
> 194682723 / 726399354 = 0,268
> meaning that you upload about 27% of what you download.
>
> Talking about percentage of upload and download on an asynchronous
> line can be misleading and I just wanted to point out that most of
> us using such a connection can be considered leechers.

I do leech and I'm not ashamed of it. I never talked about bytes, just
about percentage. Maximise bytes but equalise percentage.

MfG
        Goswin