gnuherds-app-dev

Re: [GNU Herds]: Nationality list translation

From: Nickolay V. Shmyrev
Subject: Re: [GNU Herds]: Nationality list translation
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 10:21:08 +0300

В Вск, 23/12/2007 в 02:23 +0100, Davi Leal пишет:
> Hi all,
>
> You can see attached a gettext PO file with the nationality list translated
> from English to Spanish. I hope it is right.

Is it a good idea to translate nationality? There are grammatical
problems. In Russian, for example it depends on gender - Русский или
Русская or, more correctly Россиянин/Россиянка. So you have to create
some framework to get gender in translation. If we are talking about
citizenship it's much easier just to mention country.

Also it is very close and easy to mix with ethnic nationality where you
come into mine field of minority nations.