gnuherds-app-dev

Re: [GNU Herds]: Nationality list translation

From: Duarte Loreto
Subject: Re: [GNU Herds]: Nationality list translation
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 16:00:24 +0000

Hello

On Dec 25, 2007 1:23 PM, Davi Leal <address@hidden> wrote:
(...)
I do not know yet what the Portuguese translator will do:

 Spanish = Espanhol, -la.   ??? ???
(...)
I think we should heard the Loreto's and Klaus' opinion about all this subject
due to:
 * Loreto is the Gnome Portuguese translator.
 * Klaus has already translated the nationality list to German.

I'm going to use, for the given example
  Spanish = Espanhol / Espanhola

Basically, I'll follow the rules set at the "State List" chapter of the "Inter-institutional Writing Code" defined by several European Union bodies. ( http://publications.europa.eu/code/pt/pt-5000500.htm)

I believe similar documents should exist for other European languages.

As for the issue about nationalities being or not recognized, etc, as raised by Nickolay, I usually don't mind much about these political issues and tend to ignore them. But it seems that this is a recognized issue. From the link I gave above, I would like to copy (and translate to english) the special note at the top:

IMPORTANT NOTE: This list, adopted after an agreement between the Council, the Parliament, the Comission, the Justice Court of Law, the Financial Court, the Social and Economic European Commeette and the Regions Commeette, does not represent an oficial statement by the services that wrote this list about the juridical nor political status of mentioned entities. It only represents an attempt to provide a common list based on several oficial lists.

I'll try to provide the complete translation of the po file attached to the initial message on the next couple of days.

Have fun!

Duarte Loreto
--
http://perolasdagestao.blog.pt