gnuherds-app-dev

Re: [GNU Herds]: Nationality list translation -- "Inter-institutional Wr

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: [GNU Herds]: Nationality list translation -- "Inter-institutional Writing Code"
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 17:54:20 +0100

Klaus Weiss wrote:
> Austrian becomes Österreicherin which is female. For a man it would be
> Österreicher - as you can clearly see there is some redundancy between
> the two words thus we use the former one for both (male and female) in a
> list (however, not in normal sentences).
>
> In fact we also use this `trick` in other topics like occupation.
> I don't know if this is also applicable in other languages?

For Portuguese, Loreto add both gender translations at same cases, and at
others he just adds the suffix.  He has followed the "Inter-institutional
Writing Code" defined by several European Union bodies,
(http://publications.europa.eu/code/pt/pt-5000500.htm):

  Angolano/a
  Arubano/a
  Afegão/Afegã
  Eritreu/Eritreia
  Espanhol/Espanhola
  Samoano/a

For Spanish, I added a suffix when appropriate, as the official Spanish
dictionary does:

  Angoleño, ña
  Anguilense
  Armenio, nia

However, following the Loreto's way, I am going to review the list, reading
the "Inter-institutional Writing Code" defined by several European Union
bodies for the Spanish language case,
(http://publications.europa.eu/code/es/es-5000500.htm):

Initially I thought different strategy for different language and users was
OK, but now I think you should take a look at the "Inter-institutional
Writing Code" defined by several European Union bodies for the German
language case, (http://publications.europa.eu/code/de/de-5000500.htm).

P.S.: Your last PO file has been used to update the webapp, and it has been
committed to Git.