Re: [Gnumed-devel] Family History tables

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Family History tables
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 11:48:10 +0200

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 02:42:23PM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> So ~ 0.1 of FHx (which will go into gnumed-next) will not
> link family history items to the blood-relative, even when
> the blood relative did already exist (or get created) in
> gnumed.

Yes.

> However perhaps ~ 0.2  of FHx can expand the FHx records
> so that they would have an f-key to the actual person, if
> the person did exist in GNUmed and maybe a column in which
> to record the consent of the linked person to allow their
> side of the health issue to be disclosed?

It might add an FK, yes, but that would point to an episode
of the in-database relative.

> and even if we did the above, it would be without the
> creation of a "families" table,

Yes.

> because a families table needs linkages like

> - any person to multiple other individual persons with some codification of
> the link (e.g. sibling)
> - the links then provide a basis to link other people (all siblings being
> siblings of each other, for example)

Not all links need to be explicit.

> - at which point it all gets very complicated!

Indeed :-)    But Adrian's advice, Richard's approach, as
well as wisdom gleanable from genealogy software all helps
with reigning in the complexity.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de