Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed & blueprints

From: James Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed & blueprints
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2008 21:46:53 -0700

On 6-Sep-08, at 11:15 PM, Gour wrote:

The proper 'culture' in open-source communities is that end-user upon
experiencing some problem take a look at FAQ database, look at
e.g. knowledge-base (LP has ability for it), look in existing
bug-reports and finally reporting bug (if it's not a trace which the
program automatically reports to bug tracker).

I agree that we want to encourage and assist behaviour that in the long term will help everyone.

I was not thinking as much that a bug would prompt an automatic update, I was only thinking (too narrowly) that since most of our bug reports come from outdated versions, it might be helpful to make users realize when submitting yet another bug report will not be useful and will not solve their problem. That was why I was thinking to "point" them to the possible existence of updates.

However you are right to remind of the general case... I am thinking it might be good to point people to a link on the wiki. Presently the "Report bug' link on the wiki points to

        http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=gnumed&func=additem

so perhaps in pace of that, I can add a wiki page with some general guidance how they should proceed as per your suggestion.

Is it decided that bug reports should now be filed somewhere other than at Savannah?